BITSAT 2016: Everything You Need To Know
IIT-JEE is arguably the topmost engineering entrance exam in India. But, Birla Institute of Technology and Sciences'(BITS) Entrance exam for admission to Integrated First degree programs BITSAT is comparable to IIT-JEE in its fame and reach. Even though there is a general tendency to believe that they are alike, the truth is that both are fundamentally different from each other. While IIT-JEE requires an in-depth knowledge of the advanced areas in the syllabus, BITSAT presents itself with simple, but trickier questions. If you wish to attempt both IIT-JEE and BITSAT, then it is very crucial that you understand the difference between the two. So, this article is created with such an intention in mind and it will serve the purpose, I hope.
What is BITSAT?
BITSAT is a computer based online entrance exam conducted for the selection of candidates for First Degree Integrated programs of BITS Pilani at Pilani Campus, K.K. Birla Goa campus and Hyderabad campus. Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITS) is a deemed university and research institution established in 1964, with campuses in Pilani, Goa, Hyderabad and Dubai. BITSAT stands for BITS Admission Test.
Courses Offered By BITS
At BITS Pilani Campus:
- B.E. : Chemical, Civil, Computer Science, Electrical and Electronics, Electronics & Instrumentation, Mechanical, Manufacturing .
- M.Sc. : Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Economics, Mathematics, Physics
- M.Sc. : General Studies.
At K. K. Birla Goa Campus:
- B.E. : Chemical, Computer Science, Electrical and Electronics, Electronics & Instrumentation, Mechanical.
- M.Sc. : Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Economics, Mathematics, Physics.
At Hyderabad Campus:
- B.E. : Chemical, Civil, Computer Science, Electronics & Communication, Electrical and Electronics, Electronics & Instrumentation, Mechanical, Manufacturing.
- M.Sc. : Biological Sciences, Chemistry; Economics, Mathematics, Physics
Eligibility Criteria for BITSAT 2016
- For admission to all the above programmes except B.Pharm. : Candidates should have passed the 12th examination of 10+2 system from a recognized Central or State board or its equivalent with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics and adequate proficiency in English.
- For admission to B.Pharm. : Candidates should have passed the 12th examination of 10+2 system from a recognized Central or State board or its equivalent with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology and adequate proficiency in English. However candidates with PCM may also apply for Pharmacy program.
- Candidates should have a minimum of aggregate 75% marks in Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics(or Biology, depending upon the option they choose for BITSAT exam). Also, the candidates should have a minimum of 60% marks in each of the three subjects selected.
- Students who are appearing for 12th examination in 2016 or who have passed 12th Examination in 2015 are the only eligible candidates to appear in the BITSAT-2016 test.
- Students who have passed 12th examination in 2014 or earlier are NOT eligible to appear in BITSAT-2016.
- Students who are presently studying in BITS at any of its campuses are not eligible to appear in BITSAT-2016.
Direct Admission for Board Toppers
Students who have secured the top ranks in their boards have the opportunity to secure admission in the courses of their choice irrespective of their BITSAT score. Further details about this scheme will be made available on the BITS website on 20th May, 2015.
Test Format for BITSAT 2016
- BITSAT will be a computer based exam where the candidates will attend the test on a computer at the allotted test center, connected to a server which delivers the questions and record the answers.
- The duration of BITSAT exam will be 3 hours.
- The test is of multiple-choice format and each question has 4 choices of which only one will be correct.
- The questions are divided into 4 parts. A total of 150 questions will be there in the test and the number of questions in each part is as follows:
- Physics 40
- Chemistry 40
- (a) English Proficiency 10
(b) Logical Reasoning 15
- Mathematics/Biology 45
- Each correct answer carries 3 marks and each incorrect answer carries a penalty of -1 marks.
- If the candidates successfully finish answering all the 150 questions i.e. without skipping a single one, they can opt for an extra set of 12 questions. These questions will be from Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics/Biology. There will be 4 questions from each category. This provides meritorious students an added advantage to increase their chances. Once you have opted for the extra set of 12 questions, you will not be able to go back and edit your answers in the first section.
- English will be the only language in which you can take the test.
Syllabus for BITSAT 2016
BITSAT-2016 will be conducted on the basis of the NCERT syllabus for 11th and 12th standards. NCERT textbooks can be used as the basic source for the contents. A large number of books and publications are available in the market that will aid you through the preparations for entrance exams in general. You can also find specific books for BITSAT preparation as well. Registered candidates for BITSAT will get a chance to attempt an online mock test from the institute itself.
Syllabus for each part can be found in the following links:
Important Dates To Note
- Deadline to apply for BITSAT-2016 : 5th March 2016
- Revision/Editing in the application form by candidates
: 6th – 7th March 2016
- Test center allotment and announcement to candidates
: 8th March 2016
- Candidates to reserve Test dates : 21st March – 10th April 2016
- Candidates to download the Hall tickets with instructions
: 20th April – 30th April 2016
- BITSAT Online tests : 14th May – 28th May 2016
- Candidates to apply for admission with 12th marks and
Preferences to Degree programmes : 20th May – 30th June 2016
- Admit List and Wait List announcement : 1st July 2016
How To Apply For BITSAT 2016
Application procedure to BITSAT-2016 can be done online and is very elementary. However, a detailed How-To-Apply section has been created with Screenshots of each step included, in order to make the application process easier. You can access this step-by-step guide by clicking on the following link.
STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE FOR BITSAT 2016 APPLICATION [SCREENSHOTS INCLUDED]